Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Revisiting Arthur and DW


I was looking for some new characters to introduce to the twins and I found the "B" shelf at the library...and there was books by Marc Brown.


I remember how popular Arthur books by Marc Brown were in the 80's and 90's. I even remember reading Arthur's Eyes and watching it being featured on Reading Rainbow. There is also a great Arthur TV series on PBS Kids. I find the original stories early in the series to be the best written ones. I think my two favorite read alouds are Arthur's Valentine and Arthur's Halloween.




It is also fun to see how Arthur's sister DW (Dora Winifred - for those in the know) has evolved into her own book series. The twins have read two DW books...DW Flips and DW's Lost Blankie. The DW books are shorter and an easier to follow for the youngest readers.



What should my next Arthur or DW book be? Any other favorites?

2 comments:

pussreboots said...

Although I've watched the series with my kids we haven't read any of the books. I'm therefore not "in the know". Thank you for sharing DW's name. I think my daughter would enjoy DW's LOST BLANKIE.

Librarian Mommy said...

I really like the DW books - they show how clever she is. She can take on anyone! Enjoy reading them.