Friday, December 30, 2011

What will win the Caldecott?



I am ending 2011 with my thoughts on what picture book will win the 2012 Caldecott medal in a few weeks. I will begin 2012 sharing Caldecott winners with my classes and also hosting a mock-Calecott vote with second graders. After spending the year reading almost all of the contenders - here are my picks...

Me..Jane by Patrick McDonnell

A wonderful picture book biography about Jane Goodall and one of my favorite books of the year. If this doesn't win a medal I will be surprised.



A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

A wordless story about a dog and a ball that is from a previous Caldecott winner. My kids loved this one - and they couldn't believe they could "read" the story without any words.


Where's Walrus? by Stephen Savage

Another wordless story about a walrus hiding in a city. Clever story.

Blue Chicken by Deborah Freedman

 The illustrations bring this book to another level. I did not love the story, but the concept is very creative.



We will find out the results on January 23, 2012. As for my New Year's Resolution - it is to post in this blog atleast once a month.

Happy New Year!!!!

0 comments: