Monday, July 11, 2011

Let's Hear It for Vegetables!


I have a five year old that simply will not eat any vegetables. I have tried and tried, but nope he is not going to eat any - he promises me maybe when he is six. His twin sister however eats many vegetables and she tries to encourage her brother - but so far nothing is working. I thought that we could cheer about vegetables when I read aloud the new book Rah Rah Radishes by April Pulley Sayre. This is a great book to use in food or community units. The  vibrant photographs of vegetables at a farmers market are accompanied by a rhyming chant - " Oh Boy Bok Choy Brussel Sprouts - Broccoli, Cauliflower Shout it Out!"   Rhyming books are wonderful for beginning readers and the clever chant makes you want to break out the poms poms! After reading the book my son asked - "Well where is the fruit?  - I like fruit".  Ms. Sayre - my son is waiting for Go, Go, Grapes: a Fruit Chant (out next year). In addition, Ms. Sayre has listed some excellent extension activities to go along with this book and even included the Science standards. She also has several other chant books that sound like a great way to encourage partner reading or reading fluency. Rah Rah!!!

0 comments: