Monday, May 2, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Kid for Kindergarten?

Yesterday, I was a birthday party for a friend's son who happens to be in kindergarten. He is a typical 6 year old who is a beginning reader and is starting to sound out words. He was busy opening his presents, and amid all of the toys and games were 2 books - Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth and Big Nate. Now, I love when someone buys books for birthday presents - it is sharing the gift of reading in the truest sense. The puzzled look on my face was the fact that these two books were purchased for a 6 year old.  I know that not everyone is a children's literature expert, and maybe the fact that these books were on the children's best seller list was the main reason behind the purchase. But what to do about actually reading these books? I love Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I really do not believe that you have to be in middle school to enjoy the series. I do think that you have to have a bit more school experience to truly understand the school related dilemmas and funny situations. I find that a kindergartener would relate more to the character  of Manny than to Greg. As a read aloud it could work, but limited to just looking at the cartoonish illustrations. Big Nate is also a series that just doesn't work for a 6 year old. Now of course these books can be saved for when the child is actually reading chapter books, but what about now? There are so many wonderful beginning to read series that a 6 year old would enjoy. I was really bummed - but it goes to show you that if you want to buy some good books for a six year old - ask a librarian!

0 comments: