Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Some of my fondest memories from working in elementary school libraries were from Read Across America Day aka Dr. Seuss' Birthday on March 2. I had a lot of fun planning readings and activities that went along with all of the beloved Dr. Seuss books. My planning always began by visiting the NEA's Read Across America website or visiting Seussville. 

This year, I planned a Cat in the Hat storytime that has become an annual event in my library. First, I read aloud a Marvin K. Mooney and Dr. Seuss's ABC. We played "The Cat in the Hat Says..." and then we created our own edible cat in the hat hats!  The hats are gummy life savers, vanilla wafer, and vanilla frosting.  This photo is my daughter enjoying her hat!
Here is a photo of the finished product...

Dr. Seuss is still as popular today as ever and a wonderful author for beginning readers in Kindergarten and First Grade anytime of year.

0 comments: