Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Poetry for Three Year Olds

I must admit that I haven't been reading many poems to my twins. I have read many rhyming books and Mother Goose which is as close to poetry as I have come. I am also about to take an online course from the Association for Library Service to Children called Sharing Poetry with Children. So I wonder...


What are some good beginning poetry books for preschoolers?
Some recommended poetry collections are...


Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young by Jack Prelutsky
anthology of 200 rhymes and verse that will turn your preschooler on to poetry.




The Fish Is Me!: Bathtime Rhymes by Neil Philip
Lather up with this collection of 18 effervescent poems about tub-time.



The Llama Who Had No Pajama by Mary Ann Hoberman
These 100 poems include silly poems as well as those that will get children to think about topics ranging from animals to family.



Eric Carle’s Animals Animals compiled by Laura Whipple.
Eric Carle’s vibrant artwork illustrates a selection of poems by a wide range of authors. Best for older preschoolers.
Are there any other favorite poets or poetry books for preschoolers that you like?

0 comments: